April 04, 2005

T - minus 13 days and counting....

My overall health (physical and mental) continues to be outstanding. Weight loss has slowed but still continues, by mid-week I should reach the 30 pounds lost mark. This has been the easiest part of this ordeal.
The medication is having one side effect, I am having VERY brief periods of what I assume are mild hot flashes. To the women reading this, I can not imagine how you get through a full fledged episode! Mine happen two to three times a day and only last for about 5 minutes. The only way I can think to describe it is this; imagine when you have a cold or flu that includes a fever and you experience that sensation of being hot and chilled at the same time. Clamy....

Mentally/emotionally, we are both are getting through this part with little difficulty. I sense the pressure or worry starting to mount a little as we get closer to April 17th! Again the feeling of this whole thing being surreal has returned.....

This past weekend was great, warm spring weather, a lot of yard work (too much!), I played my best round of disc golf ever, a professional soccer game with 8 second graders, the death of our Pope and a lot of needed time with family and friends.

I met a guy named Mark last week, he's quite a bit younger (early 30's maybe?), it was a chance meeting at a friends bachelor party. We swapped experiences for an hour and a half and never engaged in the event........pray for Mark, he has Hodgkin's and has already experienced two failed marrow transplants.

A very wise lady has told me time and time again that "Everything happens for a reason", in my case that reason is becoming clearer and clearer.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For your hot flashes...I saw this gal on Dr. Phil who created this gel pack thing to put in between her breasts (she was on the show because she had spent all her money and her family's money on this invention)to calm her hot flashes down. She learned to put something cold there while she was in the hospital.
Anyway, I have told friends with hot flashes about this and they say it definitely works.
So, for your next hot flash grab an ice pack or frozen peas and stick it in the middle of your chest. :)
Amy