January 20, 2007

'Disc-tractions'

I've been published!!
I wrote an article last fall for a competition in 'Disc Golf World' magazine. I recently found out that my story won for the 'travel' category! For regular readers, some of this article may seem familiar, as it draws from my trip overseas last summer.

Here's the link, I have added it to the right as well.

http://www.flhw.org/disc-tractions.pdf

We are deep in the throws of winter, a snow storm that is expected to bring us 3-6" by morning is well under way.

Mary and I had a date night last night. We had a lovely dinner at Bravo, a local Italian eatery and then went to see the new Will Smith movie. 'The Pursuit of Happyness". It was really good,
moving, but not real uplifting. I thought the ending was rushed.....

I've been watching "The Band of Brothers" the last few weekends. If you are not familiar with the series it was a ten part HBO series that originally aired back in 2001. It tells the true story of Easy Company, part of the 101st Airborne. The series follows them from boot camp, to D-Day and across Holland, the Battle of the Bulge and into Austria as WWII concludes. If you've never seen it, you must. I had forgotten how the story and the characters just suck you in and break your heart.

For me, the most emotional part was in episode nine. After crossing Europe with these guys, watching as theu get injured, watching them die, watching them break, I felt sucker punched when they come across a concentration camp.

While I remember seeing films in grade school and watching Schindler's List, etc. and being moved, this morning for some reason I was brought to tears? Watch it some time; let me know if it affects you similarly.

No comments: