December 10, 2010

Which road to take

As I ponder what’s next and what lies ahead medically, I can’t but help think of the opening to the Robert Frost poem ‘The Road not Taken’

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

A slight difference is my road ahead not only diverges but divides thrice. If all three treatments become viable options, which one do we chose? There are puts and takes to each, both known and unknown impacts involving side effects and long term sustainability, but that still leaves us, as Frost implied, standing here, contemplating the choice, the future.

Perhaps, like the poem, we’ll look back on this decision like this;

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

1 comment:

swatimittal@yahoo.com said...

GO for it Dave! My best wishes are with you!

Swati Mittal