June 06, 2011

I didn't get here alone

One of the positives about this whole experience, yes there are a few, are all the new friendships I've made during this journey. There is Jason, who because of someone wearing one of our golf hats, contacted me about his 'Warrior Combines' event. Although we've only known each other for a little over a year, I feel as if I've known him all my life. There are also a number of online friends that I have not had the opportunity to meet in person, but I know they are as close as the keyboard, of if needed, just a phone call away.

Another relatively new friendship that I am blessed with is with a fellow PC survivor named John. John is down to earth, honest, funny and just an all around good guy.  He is a local news anchor here in KC.  He provides me with inspiriation, as well as confidence to beat this menacing disease. The background on how we met and the story of our friendship was recently captured in a magazine article in a local publication "435 South".  http://www.flhw.org/in-the-press/40-print/113-qthe-buddy-systemq.html. The writer did a great job of capturing our stories and promoting our message of the importance to go get tested. 

Here is one of the pictures that didn't make the cut... I like it better than the one they did use!

My relationship with Jason, John, and so many other friends, both new and old, that I've shared my journey with over these past six years, reminds me of the Kenny Chesney song, 'I didn't get here alone':
I didn't get here alone
That road's just too rough and long
I might be the one the spotlight's on
But, I didn't get here alone
Yeah, I know I didn't get here alone

1 comment:

swatimittal@yahoo.com said...

Hi Dave,

You work in spreading awareness is commendable.
Thanks for being a beacon!
Swati Mittal