June 04, 2011

Hit me with your best shot.

On the Thursday (May 19th) before my last trip to Atlanta, and vacation in Florida, I had my monthly appointment with my local Oncologist.

My PSA was 383, UP considerably from April. This was followed by a PSA in Atlanta that was up considerably as well (I’ll post historic numbers in a later entry).

This was not the news we were looking for and in all likelihood means Zytiga (Abiraterone) is not working. Though the Oncologist's office in Atlanta was able to get me transitioned from the trial to receiving the drug via prescription, it was a poor consolation prize.  In order to close out the trial I will have to return to Atlanta one more time in mid-June and because I had already purchased the tickets this is no real burden.

What lies ahead is either another clinical trial or chemotherapy. Having been through chemo before this does not scare me since I tolerated it so well. What does concern me is the fact I did not have very good results from chemo back in 2008. The clinical trial would require considerable travel to Boston; every three weeks for the first 5 treatments and then every 6 weeks. While I was frolicking in the sun last week, Mary spoke with the study nurse and now we are waiting for a call back to proceed with the process of qualifying for the trial. The drug, XL 184 (targets the cancer tumors in the bone) has shown unprecedented results in previous trials and I pray that I can get into the trial as soon as possible.
 
On another note, the Prostate Cancer community lost another of our brethren last week when Walt, a gentleman from Alabama passed away. I didn’t know him well, although we did exchange several emails from time to time. I am saddened and pray for his wife and family.

I dedicate this prayer to Walt and his family....
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

6 comments:

Marky Mark said...

Sorry you didn't receive good news but I hope it's just a blip and that it reverses itself. If not, I'm hoping that there are other options that will keep the PCa under control. Mark

Anonymous said...

So disappointing that Abiraterone did not work:( I was really hoping you would benefit. I admire the way you take the challenge, and hope for better results with other treatments.

Pattersson

Sherry Luttrell said...

David, Terence and I continue to pray for you and Mary: "the Lord will keep you in perfect peace through these trials"- I read in the bible this morning that His intentions toward us are are to have life abundant (John 10:10). We continue to press in to the Lord and pray that not only will you get into the trial, but also have great results~ "LIFE".
Godspeed.
~Sherry & Terence.

Mary and David said...

David,
I am so sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Mary. I pray you can get into the trial with the new drug that has shown unbelievable results. My brother has been watching that drug for a while and that could be a next step for him if the abby does not work. I will continue to pray for you. You are an inspiration to so many.

Anonymous said...

David is there anything that we as onlookers can do to help you get into this trial? If so please let us know. I am one of the many anonymous who follow you.

kamagra online said...

Thanks for sharing this nice information which happens with me.


Smith Alan