February 17, 2006

Three words.....and a few more....

For some of us cancer survivors, it's not enough when they blind side you with "You have cancer",
they have to follow it with "…it's worse".

With my emotions a wreck, my heading swimming with "what if's", I hardly remember the conversation. It's strange to think that it was 364 days ago because on one had it seems like yesterday, on the other it was a lifetime ago. (I know I've said this before).

I find myself in this really good place right now, a very comforting frame of mind. I know it won't last forever, but I'm going to try to get the most out of it right now. One year later, and I am such a different person. You've heard the saying a million times, "People can't change.". No, it's not easy, but put in the right situation, anyone, everyone can or will change. Certain things are far less important, others are no longer important at all. So few things become the focus of what you do, think, feel each day. It may take a situation like this, to bring life into perspective. There are many people that find themselves in similar situations or just difficult times that don't, won't or can't stop to realize what's really important. I am thankful to God to be smart enough and willing to acknowledge these things.

One year later and I find myself healthier, more aware, more optimistic, more faith filled, more at peace, and more thankful for that which is important.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I said many, many months ago: I didn't get cancer, it was given to me - what follows is yet another example of the reason behind it becoming more clear.

Earlier this week the phone rang and a complete stranger was on the other end. He explained to Mary that his sister-in-law had found my Blog and passed it his way. His name is Rick, he's 46, from Houston and he has advanced stage Prostate Cancer.

Rick was just diagnosed in late December and he was looking for someone to talk to that is in a similar stage and to nearer his age. I called Rick back later that night and we talked for over an hour. At times I think I talked too much and didn't listen nearly enough (sorry Rick). I'm not sure how much I helped him? I hope he knows I am here, always. However, like it or not Rick, you have just been inducted into "the group" (Along with John W., Karen and others) I ask that the audience of "The Big C" add Rick and his family to their prayers. Rick, this one's for you:

Prayer to Saint Peregrine
O great St. Peregrine, you have been called "The Mighty," "The Wonder-Worker," because of the numerous miracles which you have obtained from God for those who have had recourse to you.
For so many years you bore in your own flesh this cancerous disease that destroys the very fibre of our being, and who had recourse to the source of all grace when the power of man could do no more. You were favoured with the vision of Jesus coming down from His Cross to heal your affliction. Ask of God and Our Lady, the cure of the sick whom we entrust to you. (Pause here and silently recall the names of the sick for whom you are praying) Aided in this way by your powerful intercession, we shall sing to God, now and for all eternity, a song of gratitude for His great goodness and mercy.
Amen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a 1 year cancer survivor...congratulations! Having known you before and after the diagnosis, I don't believe you have changed that much. Perhaps you are more focused on your values, more appreciative of your blessings, and more open with your feelings, but quite frankly, you are and always have been an exceptional person. I am glad you are in a good place right now. Keep up your commitment to physical, mental and spriritual preservation. We believe in you and love you. Thanks for being you!

John Wagner said...

One year! A milestone to be celebrated. May you have many more to celebrate along your journey. Rick has been added to my growing prayer list. Thank you for informing us.

Second week of chemo went extremely well again! Thanks for your prayers and your support, David.

Anonymous said...

Way to go David!!!! I am quick on your heals.

dan Any Day Above Ground Is A Good One

Anonymous said...

David, thanks for inducting me into the "group" and asking the group to add me to the prayer lists. I sincerely appreciate the time you and Mary spent talking with me. Congrats on your 1 year anniversary!! Rick