February 05, 2011

When you put it that way.....wow!

On the prostate cancer message boards we often discuss the cost of treating prostate cancer. Last week I provided a summary on the 2010 costs for my treatment. Below you will find the summary, these are 100% prostate cancer related as I am otherwise healthy :-).

During the year I had two bone scans, a CT scan, a MRI, 14 radiation treatments, 13 Zometa and Lupron treatments. I was on DES (not included in this cost) I have been on Lovenox since mid-October.
Billed Amount $117,005.53
Paid by Plan $46,156.01
Patient Responsibility $1,684.97

Billed Amount = amount medical provider billed insurer
Paid by Plan = amount insurer paid medical provider

For a general idea of what this has cost so far, take these numbers and multiply times six.

All I can do is say a little prayer for the fact I have great health insurance!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is the billed amount the list amount or the rate post insurance compnay discount.