April 12, 2010

Wa, War. He gonna fight but he don't know what for?

Again, with the lyrics, so where do you think I'm headed now?

Well, for once in this battle I wage, I have planned an event further than a month out. I have been discussing with my friend Mark for months and months the fact that I have never seen U2 in concert. While I may not be the biggest fan in comparison to Mark and my other friend Gary, I have been a fan since the early 1980's.

For me, my first U2 exposure goes back to the University of Missouri, 1983. Though I only attended Mizzou for the fall semester of '83, the memories are vivid nearly thirty years later. Before you ask, no I did not flunk out. I left for others reasons that are too long to include here. Fortunately, I did continue my education and eventually earned a bachelor's degree as well as an MBA, but it would have been nice to complete my undergrad program at Missouri. Leaving is one of my few regrets in life.

Now, back to U2, Bill and I were assigned to a dorm floor that turned out to be party central, imagine that!One of the guys we came to know was a guy Jay. It turns out Jay worked at the campus radio station and therefore had access to some fantastic music. Twenty-seven years later I still have the mix tape Jay made. It contains XTC, Big Country and many of the Alternative Bands of the early 1980's. The one that stuck with me most was of course U2. The three songs he included were: Sunday, Bloody Sunday, Gloria and Refugee. In case you were wondering, the title of this blog is a line from the U2 song "Refugee". I wonder if that tape even plays anymore?

Last week I took a big step and made plans for July. While this may not seem monumental to you, as I often mention here, looking even a few months ahead is something I do not do very frequently, due to the battle with this disease. Concert tickets and plane tickets have been purchased and the hotel is booked. Mark, Gary, myself, and a few others will be at the Soldier Field event in Chicago!

So now that I have taken care of a personal event, next up on the 'planning' list is the ultimate family vacation! Oh where do we go?

2 comments:

Brian - Prostate Cancer IV said...

I know what you mean. I am planning to see Mark Knopfler next Thursday and that seems like future planning. I know you will have a great time in Chicago. Tell the Cubs they suck for me, would ya?

Amy said...

U2 is great in Concert - say Hi to Bono and the Edge for me and making future plans is a good hopeful thing - keep making them
:-)