November 04, 2007

After the letters, we moved on to the numbers

Finishing up on my adventure through my iPod. If you don't remember, or are new around here, back in September I started listening to my iPod in alphabetical order by song title. It's been amazing and a fantastic way to shuffle through the entire 6 meg stuffed into my iPod Mini.

With 14 songs to go (of 1307 in total) I got through the letters and switched to songs that being with numbers. First up was:

100 Years by Five for Fighting - a song that hits too close to home, my eyes well up almost every time I listen to it. "there's never a wish better than this, when you only got a hundred years to live"

15 Beers Ago by the Deaf Pedestrians - I think I got this as a free iTunes song. A head banger, I think they are a Dallas based band?
Well I might've gone too far
'Cuz now I'm sitting at the bar
Without a beer and 13 rednecks
At the bar.

And they're talking about their trucks
And if the Stars will beat the Ducks
And the band onstage that sucks
At the bar.
And this is how I'm gonna end it...

1979 by Smashing Pumpkins - my favorite Pumpkins song by far.

19th Nervous Breakdown by the Rolling Stones. A classic, listed without comment.

29 by the Gin Blossoms. It didn't garner much (any?) airplay but one of my favorites
Only time will tell if wishing wells
Can bring us anything
Or fade like scenes from childhood dreams
Forgotten memories

3 AM by Matchbox 20. The chorus reminds me of 3 A.M. conversations with Mary.
and she says baby
it's 3am I must be lonely
when she says baby
well I can't help but be scared of it all sometimes
the rain's gonna wash away I believe it

40 by Section 5. This a cover of the U2 of the same title. However, Section 5 is a string quartet and the song is from the album titled "Strung Out on U2" [thanks Gary], the album is a must for any avid U2 fan, very cool.

Finally, what was last? What song was #1307? Was there more irony, as noted in earlier posts? Not really.

The final song happened to be 8th of of November by Big and Rich. Put any disdain you may have for country music and listen to this wonderful tribute to the 173rd Airborne during what some say was one of the deadliest battles in Vietnam.
On the 8th of November,
The angels were crying
As they carried his brothers away.
With the fire raining down
And the Hell all around
There were few men left standing that day.
Saw the eagle fly,
Through a clear, blue sky
1965, the 8th of November.

No comments: