August 22, 2006

The dreaded call....54.66

If you ever find yourself in this position (battling cancer) and the following event happens, be worried, very, very worried:

I had blood drawn for a PSA test on Friday. So today, as I'm having lunch with Mary and Brad (before he starts school tomorrow), the phone rings.

"This is ____ from the doctor's office, she would like to see you at 8:00am tomorrow morning to go over your test results". (She couldn't actually give me the number), "One of the nurses will have to call you back with that information".

Second call: "This is ______ from the doctor's office I have your PSA results, your number has risen dramatically, it is now 54.66. Dr. Sheehan would like to see you tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM".

So now I sit here at my desk trying to fight back the urge to purge my lunch. Sorry, but as you know I don’t hold much back here. I also am fighting the urge to cry and curse and hit something and just curl up for awhile in a dark, quiet place…….

Looks like chemo comes sooner than later.

Like last winter I'm not concerned about the actual treatment regimen, I'll approach it with my usual "bring it on" attitude. It's the fact that we have to face this step…….now - so soon.

Do you think we'll sleep much tonight?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Novena to Saint Peregrine
Oh great Saint Peregrine, you who have been called "The Mighty" and "The Wonder-Worker" because of the numerous miracles which you have obtained from God for those who have had recourse to you. For so many years you bore in your own flesh this cancerous disease that destroys the very fiber of our being, and who had recourse to the source of all grace when the power of man could do no more. You were favored with the vision of Jesus coming down from His Cross to heal your affliction. Ask of God and Our Lady, the cure of these sick persons whom we entrust to you.
Aided in this way by your powerful intercession, we shall sing to God, now and for all eternity, a song of gratitude for His great goodness and mercy. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

David,

We continue to pray for you and your family. I wish I could help take some of the worry away. Keep fighting on. You are a hero to so many. God Bless.