January 20, 2006

The list grows.......

It's been a week, I know. But after the ups and downs of the holidays and the early part of this month, I simply don't feel that there is a lot to share.

Time is flying though! It's been three weeks since my scans and my next blood test is in a week. I still feel great and continue to work out 4 to 5 times a week. My back has been much better over the last few weeks as well.

There continues to be conflicting stories on PSA tests. The most current is in regards to whether PSA tests help prevent or predict the onset of PC. Yet earlier this week, I read a story that the number of advanced PC cases per 100K had dropped from over 20 to around 7 in 2002. Here is a great source for breaking news: PC NEWS (look for the articles on Joe Thiesman and the one on hot peppers - ironically, I can't satisfy my craving for spicy foods!)

Winter returned to KC today after a particularly balmy beginning of the year. We are expecting freezing rain and snow tonight but highs in the upper 40's tomorrow, and yes, we will be teeing off as usual at 7:30 tomorrow morning!
Next week will mark the point where I cross over a new age marker (not sure what else to call this?). I was 42 when I was diagnosed with PC and I will be 43 when I …… beat PC? Hey - it's my birthday, I can dream if I want to!!

Please add these folks to your prayers:
- John W. who begins Chemo next week
- Karen, a young neighbor of a friend who's blood cancer has been deteced but has to just "watch and wait" for what she and her family (and all of us!) hope is many, many years.
- Ken, the husband of a co-worker
- Nancy F.'s brother who also has PC
- The father of our neighbor, also has PC
…and to all the rest of those inflicted with cancer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The patron saint of those suffering with cancer is St. Peregrine;

Born wealthy (1260), he spent a worldly youth, and became involved in politics. Peregrine was initially strongly anti-Catholic. During a popular revolt, he struck the papal peace negotiator, Saint Philip Benizi, across the face. Saint Philip calmly turned the other cheek, prayed for the youth, and Peregine converted.
He received a vision of Our Lady who told him to go to Siena, Italy, and there to join the Servites. After training and ordination, they assigned him to his home town. He lived and worked, as much as possible, in complete silence, in solitude, and without sitting down for 30 years in an attempt to do penance for his early life. When he did speak, he was known as a fervant preacher, excellent orator, and gentle confessor. Founded a Servite house at Forli.
A victim of a spreading cancer in his foot, Peregrine was scheduled for an amputation. The night before the operation, he spent in prayer; that night received a vision of Christ who healed him with a touch. The next morning, Peregrine found his cancer completely healed.

A Prayer to St. Peregrine for Sick Relatives and Friends
O great St. Peregrine, you have been called "The Mighty", the "The Wonder Worker" because of the numerous miracles which you obtained from God for those who have turned to you in their need.
For so many years you bore in your own flesh this cancerous disease that destroys the very fiber of our being. You turned to God when the power of human beings could do no more, and you were favored with the vision of Jesus coming down from His cross to heal your affliction. I now ask God to heal these sick persons whom I entrust to you: (Here mention their names)
Aided by your powerful intercession, I shall sing with Mary a hymn of gratitude to God for His great goodness and mercy. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David,
Thanks for remembering my brother-in-law. He is still taking that "diet only" approach - last PSA was 8.3 vs. 7.8 a month or so earlier.

Your faith continues to touch me and you continue to be in our daily prayers.

Nancy

John Wagner said...

David,
Thanks for the prayer request! (and your entries on my blog) Prayer works! I am back to work today after I finally got 4 hours sleep last night and only 55 minutes the night before. Very hyper from the Prednisone but no nausea! YEA! An old friend of mine from the Air Force, kiddingly asked his priest if it was OK to pray for a Baptist - Ha! Reminded me of how I teased you. So thankful you are still doing so well. When I get a chance I am ordering some bracelets if you still have any. Hopefully this weekend. I plan to post a blog entry on how that phrase has touched me. Prayers still being offered on your behalf every day.