January 23, 2006

I wish that......

Nothing substantial to report, we had a great weekend with family and friends. I shot three over par on Saturday morning, good enough to tie, for LAST!! The six of us were on fire, two of the guys shot their best rounds ever, 5 and 6 under par!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unable to sleep yesterday morning (hot flashes) I watched two movies that I had recorded on the DVR (aka, Tivo).

The first, "Bad Santa", delivered exactly what I thought it would. The plot line was completely horrible, but the humor was quite funny at times, in a rather sick sense. Overall I give it a thumbs down, way down.

The second was "Rushmore" which I give just the opposite!!! From Amazon.com: The movie stars Jason Schwartzman as Max Fischer, a 15-year-old attending the prestigious Rushmore Academy on scholarship, where he's failing all of his classes but is the superstar of the school's extracurricular activities (head of the drama club, the beekeeper club, the fencing club...). Possessing boundless confidence and chutzpah, as well as an aura of authority he seems to have been born with, Max finds two unlikely soulmates in his permutations at Rushmore: industrial magnate and Rushmore alumnus Herman Blume (Bill Murray) and first-grade teacher Rosemary Cross (Olivia Williams). His alliance with Blume and crush on Miss Cross, however, are thrown out of kilter by his expulsion from Rushmore, and a budding romance between the two adults that threatens Max's own designs on the lovely schoolteacher.

This is a quirky but excellent movie. The sound track is also absolutely wonderful, I particularly liked "Ooh La La" by The Faces (Rod Stewart's old band), the song played during the closing credits. It made me think, when you are asked; "If you could go back and change this or that, would you?" or "If you could go back to high school and make different choices, would you?" The chorus really sticks with you,
"I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger. I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was stronger."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, man, just wanted to let you know that you have been in my prayers.

I've been reading each day of your blog and have been encouraged by the things you share.

I heard "Live Like You We're Dying" on the radio tonight and thought that is the spirit you've had. I just heard back recently from a friend who had brain cancer who has been totally healed and recovered.

By the way if you haven't read it yet, you might read Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul: 101 Healing Stories About Those Who Have Survived Cancer. It was the most encouraging thing I read when my mother had cancer.

I'll keep praying for you and our staff at TechMission will also keep you in our prayers.