One of the things I have gained from this experience is a taste for fresh vegetables, tomatoes in particular. I always loved tomato sauce, salsa etc. but I would not touch a fresh tomato with a ten foot pole!! Now, I can't get enough!!! To top it off they are apparently extremely beneficial for better prostate health.
So last night we added a little twist to a recipe we have grown quite found of. I have listed it below. Enjoy!
Originally, we made this recipe with red onions. It was fantastic. Last night we cut thick tomato slices as well as sliced eggplant and yellow squash with the same breading and WOW!! I had to stop after a dozen tomato slices, not to mention the eggplant and yellow squash - try it, you won't believe it!!! We served the veggies with grilled chicken breasts and french baguette bread. It was a delicious, healthy meal.
Crispy Onion Rings
(You can substitute about any fresh vegetable - with thick tomatoes slices IT WAS AWESOME, LIKE LITTLE PIZZAS!!!)
2 Onions, peeled
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup non-fat egg substitute
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 T Oregano
1 T Dried Basil
1 1/2 t granulated garlic
1 1/2 t granulated onion
1/2 t sea salt
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray baking sheet once with cooking spray. Set aside.
2) Slice onions widthwise, break apart into individual rings.
3) Line up three mixing bowls. Into the first, put the flour. Into the second, put the egg substitute. Into the third, mix together the bread crumbs, herbs, spices and salt.
4) Dip each ring into the flour, then into the egg and finally into the brad crumbs. Place each onto the baking sheet.
5) When you have assembled all the onion rings on the sheet, bake in the preheated oven until the rings are crispy and light brown (about 20 minute, time will vary).
- Pre-baked rings can be frozen and used as needed.
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 196 Calories, 0.4g Fat, 0.1 Saturated Fat, 0 Cholesterol, 8.4 Protein, 39 Carbohydrates, 2.5 Fiber, 509mg Sodium.
(From: "A Taste For Living", Beth Ginsberg, Michael Milken - the cookbook can be purchased through the prostate cancer foundation website. We have made several wonderful meals from this cookbook.)
Compliments to the Chef!