July 01, 2011

What does it all mean?

In regards to the video link I referenced two posts ago, Dr. Myers recommended a book titled, 'Man's Search for Meaning' by Viktor Frankl. The book is divided into two sections. The first is Frankl's recollection of his time spent in concentration camps during WW II. The second part is his reflection on life and man's search for finding the meaning of it all. It is wonderful.

There are a number of quotes that I love from the book. The first one I would like to share is this: He who has a 'why' to live for can bear almost any 'how'. - Nietzsche

So then I receive an email from my friend in Australia. In my last response to him I let him know that he is becoming my go to resource when I am having 'blogger's block'.

Here is the home run from his most recent email:
There seems to be something of a pattern for me to the cycle of cancer: Shock, Adjustment and then Acceptance (and the ability to live with an acceptance of finality). It can be liberating too (don't ask me to explain that!)  I've now been on that roundabout a few times and I know that you and others have been through the cycle many more times.  When I first started reading your blogs, I had some difficulty in understanding your coping mechanisms. I think I now understand.

I occasionally have dark thoughts but now I understand the cycle, I sort of know that my emotions will stabilize and I will be able to deal with that new reality but as you'll fully appreciate, while that's an intellectual understanding, the emotional dimension is not so easy until I have progressed to acceptance.  It's different each time. 

I am so thankful for people like him. It may be fate, or it may just be fortunate timing. Whatever it is, I truly couldn't say this any better!

No comments: