October 31, 2010

The captain of my soul

While reviewing one of the on-line forums I follow, I responded to a post with the following:

Worry and what ifs can be all consuming and at some point we have to look forward and go live!

My response was directed to a man who was recently diagnosed and was asking about how long he had and whether we knew of anyone with stage IV PC who had been cured. At one time I was where he is, caught up in the wondering and worrying about the future. At some point I learned to just live. For the most part one day at a time, but I'd be lying if I said I don't think about the future. Looking ahead yes, but not too far.

I received the following from Manny in Florida. There are a number of scholarly interpretations on-line, mine is somewhat different.

INVICTUS
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeoning of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, David - your post came as a very good reminder today as further tests are ordered for my husband.

My best to you and your family,
Sharon