November 23, 2009

Alphabet soup

I think I have mentioned here before that I like to read. My primary authors these days are James Patterson and Sue Grafton. I like the murder mystery writings of both.

I am just getting into the Alex Cross series from Patterson and only have one of his 'Women's Murder Club' series to finish.

As for Sue Grafton, for those of you not familiar, she has written 20 books in the Kinsey Millhone 'alphabet series', "A is for Alibi....M is for Malice", etc. I have read all but "I is for Innocent". I can't seem to find it at any of the used book stores and may have to resort to the library.

I stumbled upon Grafton on Spring Break 2008. We were in Anna Maria Island and after day five or so I had already finished "The Kite Runner" and another book I had brought along. I remember standing in Walgreen's trying to find something, anything to read. It was there I found "J is for Judgment" and was immediately smitten with Kinsey Millhone.

The books all take place in the mid to late 1980's and without going into detail, Kinsey is some kind of character, pun intended. She likes peanut butter and pickle sandwiches, drives a beat up 1947 Volkswagon Beetle. She is pretty much a loner. I could go on, but as I finished the book tonight, this sentence had deep meaning,
I hadn't known him long, but some people simply effect us that way. Their sojourn is brief, but their influence is profound.

I add this as a footnote to the many, many men and women I have come to know over the past 4+ years. So much has changed, so much remains the same, and so much is still a mystery.

In case I don't post before Thursday, may all of you have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving wherever and whomever you spend it with this year!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

I also enjoy the Grafton books - have you read any by J.A. Jance?

Happy reading,
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family also David.

Jeff


Try A for Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/Innocent-Kinsey-Millhone-Alphabet-Mysteries/dp/0312945264/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259105344&sr=8-1

Anonymous said...

A blessed and Happy Thanksgiving to You and all of Yours David ,Great post.
Dan J

Anonymous said...

David - Sue Grafton has been a favorite of mine for some time...always good to know others enjoy the same! Good writing is a pleasure to read!
Bless you & yours,
Your Florida Friend