November 20, 2007

My Thanksgiving - 2007

As I create this post, I sort of feel like an award winner giving an acceptance speech, I have a long list of people and things to be thankful for, I'm bound to forget a few individuals or groups, I'm sorry if I do.
Mary - I have mentioned her support here from time to time, definitely not enough! I am usually at a loss for words while trying to describe what it is she does for me and how much she means to me. I can only begin to guess what this is doing to her? She is everything to me, my Gibraltar, she means the world to me.
Family - son, brothers, sisters, father, in-laws. They are always close, always ready to help. Needed more than I can fathom, appreciated more than I let them know.
Friends - this list could go on, and on and on. It would however be unfair to mention anyone specifically. There are active supporters and distant supporters, both needed in their own way. All are appreciated more than a few words in this blog can express.
Health - you may be asking, how could he put this in his list of things to be thankful for? Well, my health could be so much worse. While there are a number of obstacles (options) ahead of me, I try not to look too far ahead. Obsessing over the 'what if's' and options and side effects of each potential next treatment could drive one crazy. So with this in mind, I live in the right now. I eat like an athlete, work out like a twenty something and if it weren't for a couple of glasses of wine each weekend, I'd be squeaky clean. It's hard. I can't explain how hard it is. Yes on me, but also on Mary. She's the one that makes sure I have fresh fruit every day and that dinners are planned and the appropriate food is purchased. I just help cook occasionally and clean up from time to time.
Spiritual - I am far from a saint, nor am I the ideal Catholic, but I try. I pray so much more than before I was diagnosed, and many, many times the prayers are directed elsewhere. Remember, as I have written here before, it's not about me. I still struggle from time to time (briefly) with Why me? Why now? What does this mean? Why does God test me?
Maybe I'll figure it all out one day. Today I am just thankful for all of these things and the fact that God gave me the wisdom to understand just well enough to fight on. He gave me the faith, love and hope required to battle on, so I do.
Peace be with you all and have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peace be with you and your family David. Happy Thanksgiving.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

And we thank you, David. Yours' is a voice we need to hear. Faith is a beautiful thing that turns the heart to hope.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving,
Your Florida Friends,
Don & Susan