May 03, 2006

UPDATED: The list grows, not a good thing

Mary found the blog of a man (John W.) who, also in his mid 40's, has advanced PC. John is from Lethbridge, Alberta in Canada. The interesting thing about John is he is about to embark on a bike ride across Canada! (www.cycleforlife.ca). We haven't talked yet but it appears our battle is the same and our desire to increase awareness is the same. Go check out his site (I've added a permanent link to the right), he leaves May 15th and could use all of our support.
------------
A co-worker approached me yesterday and told me her 62 year old uncle had just been diagnosed with advanced PC (unfortunately the list continues to grow….) She indicated he wanted to talk, I told him to call tonight, updates to follow.
------------
I spent over 45 minutes on the phone yesterday being interviewed by a writer for Men's Health magazine. They were looking for stories about men who received second chances. It was encouraging to know my story and desire to increase awareness might actually make it into a national magazine. Apparently the story will tentatively run in the October issue (on news stands in September). It’s not about me, the article will consist of a number of profiles including regular guys like me along with celebrities (Politicians, entertainers, sports stars etc.). Though the writer seemed sincerely interested in my story, we'll see if I make the final edits. I'll keep you updated if I hear anything.
------------
Tiger Woods father Earl passed away today:
"My dad was my best friend and greatest role model, and I will miss him deeply," Tiger Woods said on his Web site. "I'm overwhelmed when I think of all of the great things he accomplished in his life. He was an amazing dad, coach, mentor, soldier, husband and friend. I wouldn't be where I am today without him, and I'm honored to continue his legacy of sharing and caring."

Woods was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1998 and was treated with radiation, but the cancer returned in 2004 and spread throughout his body.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge Tiger fan and this is big. May Earl rest in peace and I'm sorry for his loss. His dad pushed him to be the great golfer and person Tiger is today.