August 08, 2011

Back in the saddle again.

Tomorrow we hope to get the 'official' word about my acceptance in the Cabozantinib (XL-184) clinical trial. In the first week since I stopped taking some of my previous medications I can't tell any difference. If anything, I feel a little better.

I mention feeling a little better with a slight amount of hesitation. Although we received mixed opinions from the medical community, Mary and I are convinced that my recent bouts of pain are related to the two new drugs I started in June. 

The only proof we have is the pattern of the pain I experienced both times I received the treatments. Five days after the injections I begin to have back pain. The severity and location move around from low to high and side to side. Sometimes it feels likes it's my ribs, then my back, etc. It lasts between seven to ten days following the injections and then I have days and days of 'normal' activity. 

This past weekend was one of those 'normal' periods. I was even able to play disc golf on Sunday, and played pretty well considering I had not played in a month. I really miss playing twice every weekend but I'm not complaining, I'll take what I can get.

Three weeks and counting, I hope it flies by like summer did!

1 comment:

Dan said...

are you talking about Zometa or another biphosphonate? I have similar issues--back, shoulder, sometimes hip pain for up to 2 weeks during the 4-week cycle. Can't tell if it's the Zometa or if bone lesions are flaring up. Good luck with XL-184. I'm finally off it but had a very good 7 months on the trial.