June 01, 2010

Wrong turn

Mary and I started the weekend off by spending the night on the Country Club Plaza. We had a great dinner and a few adult beverages as we enjoyed a much needed evening away.

Our elation was shorted lived however. Saturday afternoon and into the evening my right hip started to hurt. It was the same pain, with the same severity that I have been experiencing off and on for a few months. By Sunday morning it had become rather severe. Medical professionals use a 1-10 scale to ask patients to describe pain. Though I have a rather high tolerance to pain, the upper end of the scale was an area I had yet to visit.

While Advil has always proven to be the miracle cure for my pain, this time it failed me. 800mg didn't even put a dent in the level of pain. We called my oncologist and waited for the return call. The oncologist on call was very nice and suggested we try alternating Extra Strength Tylenol with Advil, option 2 was the ER.

I'm not going to go into all of the details of the past two days, I'll just say that it was at times impossible to get comfortable and there was a four hour period when I virtually could not move. Although Tylenol helped me to sleep Sunday night, that was about it. By Monday morning we were at KU Medical Center picking up a prescription for a pain killer. The pain has subsided enough that I again was able to sleep. We are now headed down to the KU Cancer Center to get blood tests, an x-ray and then visit with doctor at 3:00.

The doctor in me believes this has to be more than arthritis and related to the tumor in my hip.

This is all I know for now, details to follow tonight or tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are in my prayers. I hope you are pain free soon.
Christine Black

Brian - Prostate Cancer IV said...

My prayers, too David. Unfortunately, I know that description all too well. I am praying for arthritis.