October 06, 2005

Gratitude and more opinions

I apologize for they delay but Monday was a whirlwind and things are finally winding down. It felt to both of us like a wedding reception. Old friends and new, co-workers from the past and present, family... it was all quite overwhelming. There were so many people I saw that I wanted to spend more time talking with, but we just ran out of time. In the end it appears that through the help of family, friends and complete strangers, we can accomplish almost anything!

Strangers are friends you have yet to meet.

Life is too short to go through it alone. Be thankful everyday for the friends that surround and support you.

Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.


Regarding the last; I personally consider everyone who helped, sponsored, donated, played, etc. part of MY clan. You have my deepest appreciation. Your support means more to me than you will ever know.

The tournament was an incredible success, and we have received many compliments. We hope that each participant had a great day out at the course. We had almost 120 golfers and beautiful weather throughout the day (just a little warm, but definitely bearable). At this point we still have a few checks to collect and several bills to clear up, but it looks like we be able to exceed our goal of making a $10,000. donation to PCF to support research for advanced PC. It's hard to believe that all of this came together in just under four months. We owe a debt of gratitude to the FLHW Board, Rich, Mark, Steve and Chris. Additionally, special thanks goes to the many volunteers who helped keep everything running smoothly throughout the day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
…and so, with very little sleep, we had an appointment on Tuesday with a radiology oncologist, Dr. Smalley. I have been having back pain at the end of most days and wanted to check in with an expert. We got lucky again and found a great doctor. He was personable, highly intelligent and most importantly ~ HONEST. We spent almost an hour with him discussing both my case and his approach. To summarize -
1) He was supportive of the dietary and exercise regimen [and somewhat envious]
2) He was willing to administer radiation treatments to my back and was 100% sure they would help, but was cautious about playing this card to soon. He also wasn't 100% sure there is a correlation between the pain and the cancer, based on my description of the pain and a few test he administered. He suggested for now I begin taking Advil, as it has been effective in relieving the back pressure.
3) We discussed the hot flashes at length and there are a few FDA approved drugs that can address this symptom.

We are going to discuss further with Dr. Davis before moving forward. (One of the drugs is Prozac ~ it is a milder dose than what is normally prescribed and would have no effect on my mood, being that I'm a pretty happy person to begin with ~ however, just the idea of another drug leaves me a bit reluctant.) My next appointment with Dr. Davis is in 3 weeks, when I am scheduled to receive my next Lupron shot and will have another PSA test as well. We pray that the PSA # will resume to a lower level.

That's it for now…...

No comments: