April 06, 2006

Heavy thoughts, and good news….for mice

Most of you know about the changes in my weight. Today marks one year ago that I dropped below 200 lbs for the first time in what must have been 10 years! I've lost an additional 25lbs (55 total) but the 200lb mark was very significant. I can't help wonder how much carrying that weight around for all those years contributed to my case? There is some evidence that weight is a factor in PC's progression (That coupled with fatty foods, which I was a connoisseur. Not all that often, but enough.)

I try not to preach about this, it's a difficult thing for anyone to change. Mary and I struggled for years until we were forced to change. So here's my two cents, I am certain if you do these few things, you will lose weight, live a healthier lifestyle and feel better!
- eat smaller portions
- count your calories, carbs and fat grams (get a journal, I can recommend a good one for Palm devices).
- eat a lot more fish, fresh vegetable and fruit
- do some form of exercise for 30 minutes, at least 3 times a week
- cut back on fast food (burgers, fries and pizza)
- cut back on red meat, cheese, creams, etc.

Personally, I eliminated the last two for obvious reasons. Just cutting back in those areas will result in an immediate impact. I am convinced that if American's could do these six steps, the change would be remarkable. The problem is it all takes time and planning and we're all too busy these days. It's tough at times for Mary and me, but she heads off to the store every Sunday to stock up of fruit, veggies, etc. [another example of "what would I do without her?"] Yes it's bland and boring at times, but as I said here last year; we now eat to live instead of living to eat.

The message of eating right and exercising is repeated time and time and time again, don’t wait until it's too late - unlike me you have the opportunity to change on your own terms.

I have now stepped off the soapbox.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's a news story I missed the other day….oh, to be Willard!!!
Scientists Spot Factor in Cancer's Spread - Study in mice finds a key protein lures malignant cells to bone

No comments: