February 26, 2006

Shorten the list?

It was noted by my wife the other day that the "Intentions" list at our church has grown to quite a lengthy list. Just a few years ago it may have contained perhaps 5 or 6 names. Today at mass there were 23 names.

For those of you who are not Catholic, the reading of Intentions occurs after the Homily/Sermon and before Communion. Basically the list is read and we are asked to pray for the sick. I always silently add the names a of a few of the folks mentioned within this blog. At first it was strange to hear my name read, that feeling eventually faded. As far as I know, anyone in the parish can request a name be added to the list.

After Mary's observation we had a conversation about requesting my name be removed. As Mary pointed out, this could (and will) go on for years, and so the thought was should we remove it now and add it back if/when we need to? That's not to say we don't need everyone's continued prayers!

Why would we do this? Does it even matter? It is somewhat of a strange thought at first, but the more I have thought about it, the more I like the idea. I am healthy*, perhaps more so than any period of my life. Proceeding would provide a symbolic moment, selfish as that may be. At first people might wonder or ask why? My response to them would simply be this "right now, things are going really well. I feel wonderful, my x-rays and scans are much, much better than last year and my PSA number is low and receding. Chemo is off for the foreseeable future and Mary and I felt that it was time to make room for someone else." I am not sure what the reason is but something is compelling me to make this change. Something I can't put my finger on right now. We have not yet made any decision, I'm just sharing the experience. I'll let you know what we decide.

However, let's get something clear, regardless, I still am counting on the power of prayer to be exercised through each of you, I'm not letting you off the hook that easy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last night was the annual fund raiser for our parish. It was a wonderful evening and allowed me to catch up with a number of people I have not talked to in months. I never anticipated that this blog would prove to be a source of inspiration for others, but it apparently is. If anything, I started this blog to help myself, but last night I received further proof that it is much more than that now. I am thrilled, that somehow, I may be encouraging/inspiring/supporting others.

It's the circle thing again. I give, you get, you give, I get.

Life is truly beautiful!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For those of us who read this Blog (and there are many of us) whatever decision you make concerning the intentions list understand it is a personal decision. You will always get the benefit of our prayers whether you are on the list or not. Just like many of us are now praying for others who are not on the intentions list.